As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Soft and crunchy pumpkin Rice Krispies treats make an easy, no-bake fall snack!
I have been making these pumpkin Rice Krispies treats for years, and every time I do, they disappear more quickly than I’d like.
When I originally published this recipe many many years ago, I used a bag of Jet-Puffed pumpkin spice marshmallows. It’s truly hit or miss whether or not I can find these, so I have made a few adjustments over time to adapt.
Call me a pumpkin spice pro or not, but if I have to find a way around an ingredient I found long ago to get my pumpkin fix, you better believe I’ll do it!
For these fall-inspired Rice Krispies treats, you’ll need:
•marshmallows (pumpkin spice or otherwise)
•pumpkin pie spice (or an assortment of spices I have listed in the recipe)
•Rice Krispies (a generic version will also work just fine)
•a touch of vanilla extract
•a pinch of salt
•and, if desired, orange food coloring.
And of course… Fall/Halloween sprinkles. Everything in the months of September and October need fall/Halloween sprinkles, yes?
THE SECRET TO SOFT RICE KRISPIES TREATS
Do you know how to keep your Rice Krispies treats soft? Press them gently into your baking pan.
If you press them in too hard, you’ll end up with dense, crunchy, packed treats. Keep the heavy hand away from these pumpkin Krispies. Soft and chewy crunchy is the way to go.
I have cut mine with a cookie cutter into pumpkin shapes, and I’ve also just cut them into basic squares.
If you choose not to top with Halloween sprinkles, you could also consider using candy corn, mallow creme pumpkins… Whatever your Halloweeny heart desires.
And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with leaving them plain… In all honesty, you’ll probably scarf them down too quickly to notice what they look like anyway…
Pumpkin Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 cups (158g) Rice Krispies or any kind of crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 13 ounces mini marshmallows1 about 10 cups
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice2
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- orange food coloring3 if desired
- fall/Halloween sprinkles if desired
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Place the Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, salt, and food coloring (if using) and stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat, add Rice Krispies cereal, and stir until well-coated.
- Using a spatula sprayed with non-stick spray, gently press mixture into baking pan. Decorate with sprinkles (if using). Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares or into desired shapes with a cookie cutter. Store treats in an airtight container up to one week.
- If you can find Jet-Puffed pumpkin spice marshmallows, these work great. Reduce pumpkin pie spice to just 1 teaspoon and omit food coloring.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can use 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- I prefer gel coloring. My favorite is AmeriColor.