As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This fall inspired version of the popular snack is bursting with pumpkin and cinnamon flavor in every crunchy bite. Only 3 ingredients and 10 minutes!
If you love puppy chow, check out my cookbook! 20+ exclusive puppy chow recipes!
It’s no secret I like puppy chow (see brownie batter puppy chow or cake batter puppy chow plus MY BOOK), so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that I’ve rolled everyone’s favorite fall flavor into my Chex cereal snack this week.
And just so you know, I wasn’t lying when I said I was going to try a million different flavors. I have quite a few varieties up my sleeve for the coming winter months (the 2nd best baking season).
I’m not the first by any means to try this flavor on my puppy chow. But I am, however, the first (that I’ve seen) to use an ingredient I happened to stumble upon in WalMart a couple weeks ago: Wilton Candy Melts PUMPKIN SPICE flavor.
I immediately grabbed 2 bags. I would have bought the entire end cap if I wasn’t talked out of it by my Halloween-costume-shopping-partner-in-crime who knew we were there for other reasons.
(Orange polka dot spatula not required, but certainly encouraged)
Now before you weep over your keyboard because you fear you’ll never find this, fear NOT! I was pleasantly surprised that they tasted exactly like pumpkin spice Hershey’s Kisses. So if you can’t find Wilton’s candy melts, just use Kisses (given you can find them as well).
The great news is, the bags have the same weight in candy inside. Bad news, you’ll need to unwrap each Kiss before you can use it. Total first world problem and totally worth the struggle.
This recipe could not be easier. You only need 3 ingredients: Cinnamon Chex, melting candy, and powdered sugar. If you can’t find pumpkin spice melting candy or pumpkin spice Kisses, you’ll need one more ingredient: pumpkin pie spice. See notes at bottom of recipe if this is the case.
I gathered these ingredients, took some pictures, threw everything together, and took more pictures in under 20 minutes. That means 10 minutes TOPS for you (unless you want to take pictures too)!
I added 1/3 cup of festive nonpareil sprinkles, but I bet this would be great with other mix-ins like…
•Candy Corn or Pumpkin Spice m&m’s (1 cup)
•mallowcreme pumpkins (1 cup)
•Reese’s pieces (1 cup) [don’t knock the pumpkin and peanut butter combo!]
•fall colored m&m’s (1 cup)
•cinnamon chips (1 cup)
•Halloween/fall sprinkles (1/2 cup)
•or even something salty like roasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds (1 cup).
This is a great fall snack, and it would be great to bag up and hand out to little Trick-or-Treaters! So easy to put together, and so easy to snack on. Like I said, watch out for more varieties coming your way soon…
Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow
- 1 box 13.5 oz Cinnamon Chex® cereal (plain Rice Chex® will also do)
- 10 ounces Wilton Melting Candy Pumpkin Spice flavor OR 10 ounces Pumpkin Spice Hershey's Kisses1
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup Halloween nonpareil sprinkles2
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the candy melts or Kisses in a medium-size microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 20 seconds on HIGH, stir, and heat again as necessary in 20-second increments until completely melted.
- Immediately pour melted candy over cereal and stir gently to coat.
- Pour cereal into a large zip-top bag or large container with a tight-fitting lid and add the sprinkles (if using). Shake until all of the sprinkles are dispersed evenly. Add the powdered sugar and shake again until everything is coated. Spread onto baking sheet lined with foil or parchment and allow to cool. Discard excess powder. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to one week.
- If you can't find either of these items, 10 ounces of pure white chocolate will be fine. Just stir 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice into the chocolate once it is melted.
- Consider adding Candy Corn or Pumpkin Spice m&m's (1 cup), mallowcreme pumpkins (1 cup), Reese's pieces (1 cup), fall colored m&m's (1 cup), cinnamon chips (1 cup), Halloween/fall sprinkles (1/2 cup), or even something salty like roasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds (1 cup) instead.
Read more about my PUPPY CHOW COOKBOOK!