As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This fun-to-eat, no bake snack mix is made with white chocolate, cereal, pretzels, festive sprinkles, and gummy Valentine’s Day candy.
THE EASIEST FESTIVE SNACK MIX
If you’re anything like me, Valentine’s Day is one of those holidays I always find myself letting fall by the wayside. Maybe it’s because, despite what the grocery stores say, there isn’t a whole lot of lead up to it like there is Halloween and Christmas, and the festivities seem to happen JUST THAT DAY. Do you know what I mean?
I love being able to whip up a really quick sweet treat for my kids so we feel like we checked the box for something fun, and this easy recipe for Valentine snack mix fits the bill perfectly. It comes together in less than an hour, and it’s perfect for little hands and munchers!
This is a fun and festive snack mix that you can easily whip up ON Valentine’s Day while your kids are at school, your sweetie is at work, or you need something last minute the night before you said you’d made an easy party treat (oops). Whether you make this valentine snack mix to enjoy with the family, or bag it up and hand out as little gifts for class parties, this snack mix is bound to be a hit!
The key in making a delicious snack mix (which my kids like to call Cupid Crunch) is combining ingredients that provide contrasting flavors and textures. This sweet & salty Chex mix recipe involves a mixture of cereal, salty pretzels, sweet m&ms, sour candies, and sweet gummy candies. All of it gets coated in some white chocolate for an extra sweet flavor, but the salty pretzels and Chex cereal keep it from getting too sweet.
The ingredients here are versatile, too. You can make changes and substitutions based on your own tastes or what you have available to you. It is totally up to you!
VALENTINE SNACK MIX INGREDIENTS
As I mentioned, you can change up the ingredients a lot here. Be sure to see my “variations & substitutions” section below for some ideas.
RICE CHEX CEREAL: this is one of the bases of the cereal mixture, giving nooks and crannies for all of the fun snack ingredients that will go in and on the mix. Just like muddy buddies or puppy chow, Chex makes a great shape for loading up on goodies.
CHEERIOS: another cereal there for texture and crunch. You might even get lucky that a piece of candy gets stuck in the hole!
MINI PRETZELS: and by mini, I mean the itty bitty ones! Mini are typically about 1 inch or so in diameter, and the “itty bitty minis” (made by Snyders) are more like 1/2 and inch. They are perfect for this bite size snack. If you can’t find them, mini are totally fine, as are pretzel sticks.
WHITE CANDY MELTS: you can also use white chocolate chips, chopped bar chocolate, or white almond bark. Any of these work here. You’re just looking for something white to coat the cereal in so the bright colors of the mix can shine through.
VALENTINE M&M’s: I went for the traditional chocolate m&m’s in Valentine’s Day colors, but you can use any that you like. If you want to keep this recipe allergen friendly, you can use any chocolate candies that fit the bill.
NERDS GUMMY CLUSTERS: these are such a fun addition to snack mixes! They offer a little sweet and a little sour, plus the crunch of the Nerds adds a different kind of crunch than what you get from the cereal.
GUMMY HEARTS: I used Swedish Fish brand, but you can use any gummy candies that fit the theme. I have seen Trader Joe brand X and O gummies which are also a great choice!
HOW TO MAKE VALENTINE’S SNACK MIX
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and set it aside.
Pour the Chex, Cheerios, and pretzels into a large mixing bowl and toss to blend together, then set this aside, too.
Place the white candy melts into a medium-size heat-proof bowl and heat in the microwave in 20-30 seconds increments, stopping to stir thoroughly after every time until melted and smooth. You can also do this in a small saucepan over medium heat on the stove or in a double-boiler.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal/snack mix and stir gently with a large spatula until everything is evenly coated.
Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it into an even layer. Sprinkle the m&m’s and Valentine’s Day sprinkles evenly onto the cereal/chocolate mixture while the white chocolate is still wet so that everything can stick, then let it sit until it is set (about 1 hour).
Once the chocolate has set, break the mixture into chunks by hand and toss in the gummy candies. I also like to add some additional “naked” pretzels.
VALENTINE CHEX MIX STORAGE
You can store the Valentine’s Day snack mix and snack on it until it’s gone! To keep it fresh, store snack mix in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
VARIATIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
CEREAL: I really like the combination of Cheerios and Rice Chex in this snack mix. If you opt to just use one cereal, I would just the Chex. It has a wonderful texture that adds a lot to the mix. You can use any kind of Chex cereal here that you prefer but know that the corn Chex have a stronger flavor than the rice version.
PRETZELS: the mini pretzels offer a bit of saltiness to balance the flavors out. If you don’t like pretzels, consider replacing them with something like peanuts or almonds. As I mentioned, I prefer the itty bitty minis, but mini or pretzel sticks work just fine. You can also crush up larger pretzels if you’re looking to use some up or that’s all you have.
CHOCOLATE: you can use any kind of chocolate that you would like to coat the Valentine snack mix. White chocolate looks the prettiest, but milk chocolate or dark chocolate would both taste great.
CANDIES: if you don’t like the Nerds gummy clusters or gummy hearts here, you can definitely swap in your favorites! Try to opt for one sweet option and one slightly sour one. Don’t omit the m&m’s though, those are what makes this a super festive Valentine’s Day snack mix!
ADD MINI MARSHMALLOWS: marshmallows would make such a fun addition to white chocolate Chex mix, especially if you can’t find or don’t want to use one of the simple ingredients listed.
ANY HOLIDAY: you can easily turn this into a Christmas Chex mix or Halloween sweet snack mix by changing up the colors of the m&m’s and the candies. This recipe is SO versatile as well as super tasty, so there’s no reason to limit this salty snack mix JUST to Valentine’s Day. Let your creative white chocolate snack mix juices flow!
VALENTINE’S DAY SNACK MIX RECIPE FAQs
Easy Valentine’s Day Snack Mix Recipe
- 3 cups (90g) Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups (52g) Cheerios
- 1 cup (224g) itty bitty or mini pretzels
- 10 ounces (283g) white candy melts or coarsely chopped white chocolate1
- ¾ cup (168g) Valentine’s Day m&m’s
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons festive sprinkles2
- 1 cup Valentine's Day Nerds gummy clusters3
- 1 cup gummy hearts2 I used Swedish Fish brand
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Pour the Chex, Cheerios, and pretzels into a large bowl and toss to mix together. Set aside.3 cups (90g) Rice Chex cereal, 2 cups (52g) Cheerios, 1 cup (224g) itty bitty or mini pretzels
- Place the white candy melts into a medium-size heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave in 20-30 second increments, stopping to stir thoroughly after every time in the microwave until melted and smooth. You can also do this in a small saucepan over medium heat on the stove or in a double-boiler.10 ounces (283g) white candy melts
- Pour the melted white chocolate mixture over the cereal/snack mix and stir gently with a large spatula until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the m&m's and Valentine's Day sprinkles evenly onto the cereal/chocolate mixture while the white chocolate is still wet so that everything can stick. Let sit until set, about 1 hour.¾ cup (168g) Valentine’s Day m&m’s, 2 to 3 Tablespoons festive sprinkles2
- Once the chocolate has set, break into chunks by hand and toss in the gummy candies. I also like to add some additional "naked" pretzels. Store snack mix in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.1 cup Valentine's Day Nerds gummy clusters3, 1 cup gummy hearts2
- White chocolate: feel free to use another flavor of chocolate if you prefer.
- Festive sprinkles: I used a combination of nonpareils and heart shaped quins for a fun mix of shapes and textures.
- Gummy candy: if you don’t like or can’t find these specific candies, you can choose any gummy candy you like. I like having something sweet as well as a little bit sour, but adjust accordingly based on your taste preferences.
All nutritional values are approximate and provided to the reader as a courtesy. Changing ingredients and/or quantities will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.