Hi there, party people! Are you absolutely freezing your tushies off? If you’re one of my Aussie friends then answer to that is definitely “NO” given it’s summer there. Ya jerks. But if you’re on the east coast, you, like I, are gearing up for a doozy of a snowstorm that should be dumping quite a bit of the good stuff on us. I must say, I do love snow, but… Ugh. Of course we have plans!
SO. I’m trying to just forget about the freezing cold winter that is literally howling at our windows as I type this and going to immerse myself in thoughts of creamy, spicy, southwest flavored corn dip that is nothing but a party in my mouth. Yes. That should do the trick. Come along with me, won’t ya?
This dip. It is… Maybe the easiest thing in the world. I made it twice in one week because it was such a hit with the first set of people. I took it to our family Christmas celebration and it had an almost constant huddle around it the entire 5 hours we were together. Then New Year’s Eve? Combine this dip with some champagne and you’ve got yourself quite the celebration. And the best part? It is so flipping simple, I’m not even sure I can actually call it a recipe.
You’ll need just a handful of ingredients for this dip: a can of corn, an orange or red bell pepper, a can of green chiles, some plain (not vanilla– eek!) Greek yogurt or sour cream, a bit of mayo, and a ton of spices. If you’re not into using all the spices I have listed, go ahead and sub in 2 Tablespoons pre-made taco seasoning. Aaaaand… That’s it. Simple!
Both times, I served this dip with corn chips, but we also ate leftovers on salad and Triscuits. After it was all gone, Matt said it would have been really good on eggs. DEFINITELY. Someone try that, please?
While this dip is “creamy,” it is definitely not nearly as bad for you as traditional creamy dips go. You’ve got just a bit of mayo for flavor, but the Greek yogurt really adds a hefty dose of creaminess without all the added fat. Plus, extra protein! If I can get some extra protein in the form of corn dip, I’ll definitely raise my corn chip to that one!
Perfect for whipping up last minute, great for Super Bowl parties, or just… You know… A Wednesday night. Because WHY NOT? It’s freezing outside… Don’t you think you could use a little southwest lovin’ in your snack life?
- 2-14 ounce cans yellow corn, drained
- 1-4 ounce can diced chiles
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (make sure it is not vanilla, you may also use sour cream)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (light or full fat)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large bowl, combine corn, chiles, bell pepper, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and all of the spices. You may use 2 Tablespoons homemade or store-bought taco seasoning if you prefer. Stir with a large spatula until completely combined.
- Serve with corn chips, tortilla chips, as a topping for a salad or tacos, or anywhere you might use salsa. Leftovers will stay fresh covered tightly in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Some more dippin’ for your snackin’!